Triumph unveil their new Speed Triple S and RS models.
It’s been teased for months and, whilst no prices have been announced, we now know everything there is to know about the new Speed Triples released today.
The British manufacturer are calling them the ‘Greatest Speed Triples Ever Made’ and are mightily proud of their heritage, referring to the original ‘factory street-fighter’ as legendary.
Engine upgrades over the outgoing model are plenty; there are 105 new engine parts bringing the 1050 cc triple engine upto 150 PS and 117Nm of torque. Triumph also say that the engine revs harder and spins up faster than ever before.
There’s higher spec suspension thrown into the mix too, helping that sharper, twin-spar aluminium frame to be more focused and far more agile.
It’s with new tech that the new machines have had the most attention placed however. Somehow we’re still in a world where a 5″ full-colour TFT screen is an impressive new thing, but the switchable rider modes, dynamic display and ‘innovative LED illuminated switchcubes’ (nope, us neither!) all add up to a major new upgrade.
The Speed Triple RS gets a new inertia measurement unit (IMU), advanced cruise control and DRL headlights plus keyless ignition as standard, as well as carbon fibre bodywork, matt aluminium rear subframe and an Arrow sports exhaust.
Here’s the full overview courtesy of Triumph’s press department…
Still the perfect balance. Still the original hooligan.
The most powerful and responsive Speed Triple ever, and the best sounding
- A major development to the 1050 cc Triple engine, with 105 new engine parts
- More power (150 PS) and more torque (117 Nm)
- More Triumph Triple character by revving harder and spinning up faster
- New freer-flowing silencer for improved exhaust sound
- Arrow sports silencers fitted as standard on the Speed Triple RS
The smartest and most technologically advanced Speed Triple ever
- 5″ full-colour TFT instruments with up to five rider modes
- Innovative LED illuminated switchcubes
- New optimised cornering ABS and traction control on the Speed Triple RS supported by a new inertial measurement unit
- High level of specification including cruise control and DRL headlights, plus on the Speed Triple RS only, keyless ignition as standard
Lighter and the best-handling Speed Triple ever
- Sharper, more focussed and more agile
- Distinctive twin spar aluminium frame and single-sided swing-arm
- High specification suspension, Brembo brakes and Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa tyres
- Improved rider comfort
- All the iconic Speed Triple attitude with a high level of specification and finish
- Higher quality finish and detailing: new high-gloss wheels and restyled silencers
- Contemporary new colours and decals
- Lightweight carbon fibre bodywork and matt aluminium rear subframe on the Speed Triple RS