NEWS

The reason for most motorcycle crashes? Car drivers

An Australian study states ‘failure of other drivers to give way’ as the most common factor in bike accidents.

Research by Monash University, Melbourne has found that human error was the primary contributing factor for 94 per cent of accidents involving motorcycles. Whilst with single-bike crashes, rider error and loss of control were found to be the most common causes, for incidents involving more than one vehicle, it was found that ‘motorcycle crashes occurring in lighter traffic more likely involved an error by another driver, including such things as failure to give way’.

The motorcycle crash research studied over two hundred and thirty accidents between January 2012 and August 2014, with nurses at the hospitals and crash scene investigators aiding with the compilation of the data.

Whilst car drivers were responsible for the majority of accidents in less-dense traffic, it was the motorcyclist to be more likely at fault for most ‘urban’ crashes and collisions however,

Trevor Allen, from the Monash University Research Centre said that this was most likely due to the greater frequency of danger, “Higher traffic density leads to more hazards and a higher level of difficulty for riders to move safely in and among traffic, compared with other vehicles”

The research also found that the older the rider, the less likely it was that the rider was primarily to blame for the accident.

Clothing

Source: The Herald Sun

11 Comments

11 Comments

1. Avatar

DeathsStalker RVT

February 6, 2017 at 15:48

but don’t worry the government will require more training and higher insurance for bikes.. not car drivers

2. Avatar

Ursa Minor

February 6, 2017 at 15:52

yup like the old bid that just pulled out on me in an estate car without looking. I wonder how many of said drivers are 60+?

3. Avatar

Danny Gartside™

February 6, 2017 at 18:21

taking your bike test should be compulsory for all car drivers to raise their awareness.

4. Avatar

Danny Gartside™

February 6, 2017 at 18:22

the number of young women I see using their phones too is ridiculous, VR head sets with some horrific crash footage needed

5. Avatar

Kastor

February 6, 2017 at 19:52

alot of countries dont really teach drivers how to watch react or responsd to bikes in their vicinity and blind spots.

6. Avatar

TrevW

February 7, 2017 at 10:37

which is why I hung up my helmet. Just too dam dangerous and busy now with loads of idiots on mobiles, etc. (South UK)

7. Avatar

Mr Core Fusion

February 7, 2017 at 10:48

in England you had a years ago an interesting advice TV campaign on focus about this, what kind of results won it?

8. Avatar

Thunder 9501

March 11, 2017 at 18:06

gotta hate those Fiat 500 with the drivers eyes glued to the Phone

9. Avatar

Maureen McDermott

March 24, 2017 at 09:43

I was just reading where cars are mostly to blame for motorbike accidents and I must agree. I was riding my Kawasaki 1000gtr in Bundaberg Australia and only doing 60kph when a woman coming from the other way decided to turn down a side street right in front of me. No blinker so no warning. I tried to throw the bike under her car but the semi slicks gripped and t-boned me into the side of her car and up over the top and I landed on the other side on my face. My helmet was completely destroyed. I ended up with a broken back, knee, ankle and spat out 6 fillings. The irony of this was I was on my way to the dentist. My health is not too good now as I ended up with sugar diabetes and fibro myalgia which is very painful. Her lawyers wanted me to agree 70/30 but I wasn’t coming into that. I would still like to get back on a bike but is is not going to happen. CheersL Bob on my wife’s facebook.

10. Avatar

Stoffel's Car

April 10, 2017 at 17:10

I am pretty sure that’s wrong. The reason for most motorcycle crashes is people buying motorcycles.

11. Avatar

Grant Johnson

July 21, 2017 at 22:59

Actually it’s car drivers buying cars.